Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The River is Rising

Image courtesy of Brisbane Courier Mail, looking towards Eagle Street Pier. Picture: Peter Wallis
Brisbane my hometown, is experiencing its worst flood on record, the river is rising and expected to peak tomorrow. After a deluge of rain across the State over the last month or so, the full dams are now overflowing and the land soaked.
Image courtesy of Brisbane Courier Mail, taken from the steps at Custom House looking out to Story Bridge. Reader Picture: Mitch Ryan
People are being evacuated from lower lying areas as homes and businesses are being flooded and people are stranded all over the place. I am fortunate to live on higher ground and watching all this unfold on television seems quite surreal. I cannot go to work, the Queensland Premier and Government Officials have called for everyone to stay put and out of the Central Business District and limit leaving home unless it is really necessary.
A big thank you to all the emergency workers, you are doing an amazing job in extraordinary circumstances, and so are the many people and neighbours who are going to the aid of others in need.
So while I sit tight and stay out of harms way and wait for the water to peak, I am making the most of my time, painting in the studio.

When I have a break, I am browsing my friends blogs for inspiration and can highly recommend the following:
So until this disaster passes, I trust you will all take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment