Friday, October 30, 2009

My Obsession

I love making bowls out of clay and I love drawing and painting bowls, its been a passion of mine all my life. When I was in primary school, I remember Mum taking me along to Clay Classes on Saturday's and I loved it. The pieces I made then, and throughout high school, are still proudly on display in my parent's house.

Candy Herne kindly gave me permission to paint some of her pieces that she exhibited at the Brisbane Institute of Art back in 2004, when we did a couple of Clay Workshops together. This is Candy's work below. The bowls were hand formed and then either raku or sago fired. I think the way they are displayed here conveys a lovely sense of unity.


The bowls below are the work I did throughout a semester and were called my "Soul Bowls". After the exhibition I gave all my closest friends one for Christmas that year filled with affirmations. These bowls were formed by ripping pieces of flattened clay and pressing the pieces together in a mould. I used many different types of clay, buff raku, red raku, stoneware, terracotta and porcelain. I glazed the inside of each bowl and left the outside of each to show its natural qualities. I wanted my bowls, through my process of construction to convey strength, fragility, love and sacredness.

(SOLD)
These are the first 2 paintings from the series I am currently working on from Candy's beautiful collection.

(SOLD)
I am so excited about this series!!!

2 comments:

  1. These are very interesting Katrina!
    Like the composition of the bottom painting a lot...great concept to work on, esp with your love of clay.
    I used to like painting those greek urns - amphoras - had a fixation on that form...so I can get these very easily ...there's something about clay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat,
    Love seeing what you are up to, can't wait to see them in person.
    Rach

    ReplyDelete